Goals versus Resolutions

Have you ever set a resolution, only to have it turn into a dis-illusion by March?

Me, too. That's why I set goals rather than resolutions.

Sure, I may jot down a word that I want to focus on for the year, something like "love" or "grace"., but I don't obsess over resolutions- type ideas. I pray about it, but I have learned not to obsess.

But when it comes to productivity and actually getting things done....I LOVE goal setting. It fires me up. I'm not competitive with anyone else....mostly myself.

Time runs out. I'm reminded that there are only 24 hours in a day. I become human at about 9:30 pm when it's time to wind down for bed.

But it never fails. If I write goals and stay focused with daily to do lists then I get more done. 

I've come to learn that, for me at least.....

.....a good life is partly the result of the enthusiastic tackling of a worthwhile to-do list.

I may only get 2-3 things done today, but because I have set goals and I'm organized...you can bet I get the most important things done.  Even if I'm sick or can't leave the house, I'll still have a to do list. It may be to call a loved one, or brainstorm on how to break through a problem, but I WILL make a list, and I will get something done today.

Ok I'll admit it. I have a daily to-do list on my phone, on my planner, and on a whiteboard. These lists don't always match up, which can kind of drives me crazy, but they all help me stay focused. The whiteboard is the quickest, easiest and most thorough way to communicate to my middle schoolers what I need to do today, and what they also need to do. My phone goes with me out of the house, so it's the most portable. The planner stays close to my work and school area, so if I want to expand on a to do list or add an item for next week I can do that.

Setting goals helps me stay focused from day to day on things that matter. It can help you, too. Better yet, writing a goal or two down on paper can help imprint the goal or idea into your brain.

For example, here are a few of my goals for 2019.

1. Work out 30 minutes per day rather than 20.
2. Eat at least 5 servings of veggies per day rather than 2 or 3.
3. Start investing.

These goals are pretty simple, but even in this simple form they will serve their purpose. Once I write them down, my subconscious starts thinking on how I can accomplish them.

The brain can do remarkable things, if a brain has remarkable things to do.

Your brain can also do this. It can even work through how to accomplish a goal while you sleep. 

In order to write down the best list of goals for 2019, start with what you want to accomplish. Think about what would be awesome to be able to say you did. What do you need to get done?

Ideas for worthy goals:

  1. Get out of debt. I recommend Dave Ramsey. 
  2. Go to a marriage weekend get away with your spouse.
  3. Read the Bible.
  4. Start a consistent work out plan and feel awesome.
  5. Start taking vitamins...good ones. Hotze Vitamins are the best. 
  6. Save at least $1,000. Once your debt is paid off save 3 months of expenses. 
  7. Write 1 letter a month to a special family member
  8. Call your mom (or dad) once a week
  9. Eat more veggies, maybe try a new veggie every month for the whole year
  10. Meet with your boss at least once a quarter to make sure you understand your bosses goals for your work and you are on track. Communication with your boss is key for career success. 
  11. Take a vacation
  12. Volunteer at a nursing home or hospital or shelter.
  13. Write a book
  14. Start a blog
  15. Take more pictures
  16. Finish a scrap book
  17. Learn a new skill
  18. Learn a new language
  19. Do a 14-Day Detox
  20. Get to bed on time 
  21. Wake up earlier
  22. Stop drinking alcohol.  It costs too much and it's hurting your liver. 
So there you go. You have a few ideas to get you started. Think about it. Pray about it, and then get yourself a good planner and find just the right page to write out your 2019 goals. I suggest somewhere between 5 and 10 goals for the year. 

Make notes about which goals you are focused on during each month. Then, just watch. By the end of the year....when you go back to your list of goals you will have accomplished MUCH more than you thought you could. Congrats!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap