Fight Like a Boy

Ordinary: It's my sister in law's birthday, and I forgot to send a card, so I'm feeling pretty crumby

Extraordinary: My sister in law is also currently in chemo treatment for stage 3 colon cancer, and she's my hero (and hopefully this post will tell her in case she has any doubts)

It was a few months ago when we got the news that she had the "c" word. I can't even think or say it. It's so harsh, and presumptuous. Not her- she can't have something like that. She's so strong. The mom to two spunky boys, and the wife of my brother, who's quite the manly man. She's tough.  She did Tough Mudder for goodness sake. She is a marathon runner. She's just slightly older than myself. Not her, please God. I haven't even gotten to know her well enough. We haven't lived in the same state. I haven't been the sister I really wanted to be...yet. God please give me a chance.

After we heard the news that it was a reality for her and our family, we all started to pray.There were prayers of faith from 50 states. She was covered in prayer. We watched her spirits eventually lift, and then, soon enough...there was Sarah again. On Facebook. On her blog. She even went out with her boys to see Santa at the mall while recovering from surgery. Oh the joy to see her pulling through! (I think she regreted the santa thing though) :)

Ok, so getting to the point. She is my hero because she is a FIGHTER (she is also one of the most beautiful women alive). I'm confident that her life's purpose is at least partially to fight these cancer cells, WIN big, and then share her story with others facing the same fight. She is a very talented writer and blogger, and God will use her for this purpse of encouragment of others. Her wit and humor (and knowledge) are unmatched.

And I know God is pleased that she is fighting such a doggone hard fight. I think He knew she would. And she's teaching me to "rub some dirt on it" and keep going. These days my "hard days" aren't half as hard as they used to be. I'm not hooked up to a chemo pump for days at a time with extreme fatigue and who knows how many other completly life altering symptoms.

Soon she will be through all of this mess (we'll call it "mud"), and the world is her oyster. Seriouly peeps- this lady can pretty much what she wants to do. She can do anything.

My belated birthday message to her:
I know you can do it, Sis. Keep fighting like a boy and making us proud. I love you!

In Him,
Tink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap