Fuel for thought

Perched close to a lake, in the company of loved ones, today is a thinking day...a day away from doing and being. Just a day to wonder. Possibilities, reasons, plans, goals, asking "why?", and being grateful. I think today I could probably list a thousand single things or people I'm just plain grateful for. God continues to bless us. Maybe a new series of future posts? Stay tuned. Until then.....

Today I've decided to focus my "think" on the definition of extraordinary to help me find it in my daily life. I admit some days feel less than extraordinary. Every day feels blessed and happy and good, but some days I have trouble finding that "wow" moment to write about. I'm hoping this time together today refuels my "wows". :)

Ok, here's the definition:

ex·traor·di·nar·y  (k-strôrdn-r, kstr-ôr-)
adj.
1. Beyond what is ordinary or usual: extraordinary authority.
2. Highly exceptional; remarkable: an extraordinary achievement.
3. Employed or used for a special service, function, or occasion: a minister extraordinary; an extraordinary professor.
 
Now, my really professionally qualified commentary:
 
So, my first thought is that "beyond ordinary" could be either positive or negative. For the purposes that I'm using the term for here, we're going to weigh heavily on the positive.  For example, a remarkable achievement. Another definition I found listed "surprising" as a similar term. I don't always like surprises (some things are just better when you know it's coming so you can look forward to it), but I love those moments when people surprise you, or someone has a surprisingly awesome thought, connection or revelation. You know, like when your child points to the sky and says they can see Jesus' face in the sunset. Wow. That qualifies for sure. For me, a big smile, tears, hmmmm, "aha", or "ohhhhhhh" are indicators that I've stumbled upon something beyond the ordinary and valuable to keep a hold off. I constantly try to keep my ears and eyes tuned to see the extra in my ordinary. I long to hold onto it all as I know it's all blessings from above for me/us to think on and ponder. 

The best reason to "think about these things": Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
 
Anyways, It's interesting to me how it's within our ordinary that the "beyond ordinary" shows up (usually). By the way, praise God for that. :) It may be that conversation with your husband while stirring the spaghetti noodles, or the other mom you meet while dropping off the dry cleaning, or the way the soft sunlight bounces off the clouds while you sit is traffic on the way home. Wherever we find it, my goal this week is to get better at SEEING it, soaking it in, praising God for it, and gaining encouragement for myself, and encouragement to share.

One of the things I'm learning through this process is that we often classify our daily life as ordinary, but God has big plans for us, even on the days that seems small. God knows the plans he has for us, and he's excited to lay them down, and watch us GROW as we walk towards Him in love and faith and trust. It's a process, but all glory and honor and praise to HIM because of his love and faithfulness.

Refueled, 
Tink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap