Our Prayer Basket

Happy New Year my Friends!!

So, are your Christmas decorations down? Mine aren't! I'll do it this weekend I'm sure. I did, however, take down the Christmas cards off the blinds and off the China cabinet (or the Chinese cabinet as IPK calls it). I went ahead and took those down because I knew exactly where to put them, and I love to put things where they belong. Yay for feeling a little bit organized!!

I love to see the the mail pile with handwritten addresses and colorful envelopes. I love to carefully open each one. I love to see the pictures, and think about those who have sent greetings, and post them up in the dining room. It's just a happy process- getting a card in the mail. It reminds you of the loved one who sent it, and fond feelings and memories flood closely behind.

But then, after the holidays, what do you do with them?

I have an idea for you- make a prayer basket!



The last time I visited my late Aunt Wanda I noticed that before we said our prayer around the lunch table she went for a small basket full of cards and letters that sat beside the table, on the window ledge. It was her prayer basket.  She randomly picked a greeting card from the basket, and then as she said the prayer over our lunch she also prayed over the family that had sent her the card she pulled out . Wow- I thought. What a great way to remember our family and friends and lift them up in prayer on a regular basis. 

So, when I got back into town of course I had to do the same thing. I picked out a basket to put by the table, and it didn't take long to collect a few cards. I collected birthday cards and birthday invites and thank you cards and wedding invites. First of all, it was nice to have a good place to put these cards. I don't like to throw them away. Truth be told I really can't. Before our prayer basket I had piles of cards and letters that I had to find something to do with.

To get the basket started, on a Sunday afternoon at lunch time, I pulled the basket down. I then asked one of the kids to close their eyes and draw a card out, and then handed it to my husband. I asked him to please pray for this family along with out food. He loved the idea, and said the most beautiful prayer. Since then we have prayed through our prayer basket several times. We try to do this daily. We pray peace, financial blessings, safety, unity, and spiritual growth over each family or person. The best part of this process is that our kids hear us praying over other families, and they learn how to do it, and that it's important to do regularly.

Thank you again, my dear Aunt Wanda, for another wise and fun idea to support the spiritual growth and unity of our family! We miss you!

In Him,
Tink


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap