God is With Me, God is With Me

A couple of weeks ago I learned a lesson from my kids in courage, and I just have to share this. It's a precious memory I'll keep with me forever.

So, it was a hectic Saturday morning, the Saturday before Easter, and we were getting ready to go out to eat breakfast. IPK (our 7 year old precious daughter) wants to put on her magnetic earrings. Ok, I tell her. (She'll take them off in about 10 minutes because they pinch her ears, but until she has the courage for real piercings, this is what she likes to wear). So she puts them on and looks happily in the mirror. Big smile, and then she trots off to her room.

5 minutes later.....

Punkin (our 5 year old daughter) goes into IPK's room and notices the earrings and wants to put them on, too. There's only one pair, so the conversation isn't getting very far. Mr. Extraordinary (husband) hears this conversation, and says- "Hey IPK, do you want to go get your ears pierced?". She gives me a look I'll never forget that says "yikes!". "I'll think about it Daddy!" she says. She goes into her room, and then in a few minutes emerges a new, confident (although temporarily) young lady. "Daddy if I said yes would you really take me?". Mr. Extraordinary peeps out of the bathroom doorway and gives me his "Yikes!" look. Then he answers her "Yes, if you want to get that done today we will find a place and take you". So now she's excited and nervous and asking me questions and I'm telling her that I was 7 when I got mine done. We're just chatting away me and my lil IPK. It's taken her several years to even show interest in having her ears pierced, because she has a low pain tolerance like her mom. But then....

Here's the impressive part (or one of them).....

Punkin pipes up from her room (another head peeping out of the door) and says "I want to get my ears pierced too!!!!!!!". Husband and I both look at each other again, flabbergasted. Wow- lil Punkin is fearless. Not that getting ears pierced is that big of a deal, but there is some pain involved, so were were surprised at the enthusiasm. "yes", Dad says. "We will take you, too. Let's go!"

A couple of hours later, after breakfast we drive around and find an ear piercing place (we used Claire's and they did great)...

As we walk in there is a small baby getting her ears pierced (THATS JUST WRONG), and I cringe at what my girls will think after hearing this baby scream. I figure it's just a matter of moments before we are heading out the exit door, on to other pre-Easter festivities. But, after the baby is done, Punkin (the younger one) jumps up into the chair, picks her earring choice (Hello Kitty please- $32!!), squeezes the arm rests, and says. "Ok, I'm ready!". I stood there next to her in silent respect of her gumption and courage. She knew it would hurt a lil bit. But she was so focused, and willing to take the pain to get her gain. She really wanted to be able to wear all of the pretty earrings on the racks, so she cringed and the lady punched through one ear lobe, and then the next. No tears, and no sighs, except from her mom. I was cringing and felt like they were piercing my ears. You know- it's like the mom pain you get when your kids get shots. So, Punkin jumps down out of the chair to go show daddy her new pretty earrings. She was so proud of herself!

Now, it's IPK's turn. She jumps up, reluctantly into the chair, sits for about 3 seconds, and then jumps right back down. "No mommy, I changed my mind. I don't want to get my ears pierced". I kind of figured this would be the case, so we told her that was fine. But we waited at the store for a while. She build back up her courage, and she eventually got back into the chair and with me holding both of her hands and with two ear piercing professionals, we finally got her ears pierced (they actually had to trick her, but she says she was glad they did). Anyways, alls well that ends well. We went home with two happy little girls and for 2 days straight all we heard was "Can you believe we got our ears pierced mommy???". It was a fun weekend.

Then a few days later, as we are cleaning off the area around the ear piercing I noticed something Adi was saying to her self. As she bent over the sink for me to pour the solution over her ear lobe, I heard her saying "God is with me, God is with me, God is with me- say it Bella! God is with me...". Getting their ears cleaned off hurt a little bit for the first few days, and Bella was not liking it at all, but Adi was a trooper. She had no fear because she was focused on "God is with me".

I just wonder how often I'm facing adversity, or a scary situation, and I forget that God is with me. God promises that He is with us. He is with us on the happy, sunshiny days, as well as the hard, painful days. His presence gives us strength and courage, as long as we remember to acknowledge Him in all that we do. He can provide us with joy and strength as well. Everything our soul needs is fulfilled by us asking Him into our hearts and remembering that He is with us.



I'm so proud of my little Punkin and Sweet P (IPK) for being so brave and getting their ears pierced. They had behaved so well at school that week, and IPK made such good grades. It was great to give them that reward. God is with me!

Do you forget that God is with you? What helps you remember?

In Him,
Tink





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap