My used car buying win


Last Friday, on Memorial Day weekend, I went out to look at Honda CRVs. I had just gone to a class on negotiations, so I was eager and nervous to try out a new strategy or two. It would definitely be my first time to try this car buying thing alone, and I would need to be diligent to make sure I got a nice deal. I thought it would take several trips out car shopping to find a good deal, but I found it on the first try, and I felt pretty good about myself. The sales manager told me he should "fire these guys and hire you". The trainee that saw it all happen said he'd never forget it. I don't know if it was because I'm female, or because I'm young, and maybe they didn't see me coming and thought I'd take the deal as is. But I'm smart, and persistent, and on that day it paid off.....big. With a little planning ahead, and the willingness to walk away if I needed to, I got a total of $3,700 in concessions on a $15,000 car in a "no-haggle price zone". Here's the break-down:

1) an extra $1,000 added to my trade in vehicle value
2) $1,100 off the "no haggle" price of the car I bought
3) a spot on the bumper didn't look right, so they agreed to fix it.
4) $600 off a 3 year warranty
5) 3 free oil changes
6) a free car wash (when I come back to get my license plate) and a tank of gas
7) the respect of the sales and finance team. They didn't think I was mean or selfish- they respected me for my savvy questions and insistence on value. This was my favorite part. I made friends.

Here are my tips for maximizing your used car purchase you you can have a good experience too.

1) Plan ahead. Know exactly which car make and model you want. Look up the value so you know what is fair.
2) Print out your list of cars and know what your plan is. First I'll start here at this dealership, and then I will go here. This helps you pull away from a deal if it doesn't feel right.
3) Look up the Kelly Blue Book value of your trade it, if you are trading in.
4) Write out a few numbers before you walk in. Decide on 1) The most I want to finance, total, (and look at a car calculator for what the monthly payment should be). 2) The least you will take for your trade in. 3) The amount you hope you get for your trade it (add 10% when the sales team asks you what you hope to get). 4) Decide on extras you will ask for.
5) Make sure you walk in feeling good. Be rested, fed, and grab a coffee first if you can. This will keep you out of a "hurry", which is a sales person's dream.
6) Let the sales person know when you walk in that you aren't in a hurry, that you have your numbers planned, out, and and that if you don't love the car AND the numbers then you won't buy today. This relieves some pressure- it sets you up to be "just looking around".
7) Ask for concessions on the price of the car, the price of the trade, accessories, warranty price, and added extras. Tell them to take off added fees that they can't explain- you'll have to find them first.
8) When it comes time to make the deal on the price of the car or the value of your trade in, leave room for negotiations. When you put out your number they WILL NOT say "yes, that sounds great". They may give a little, or at best meet you half way. So, for example, if I want $18,000 for my trade, and they ask me what I have in mind I need to say $19,000. Then they come back with $17,000. I say I won't go lower than $18,500, and then they say it's final at $18,000. I say, ok, I'll go for $18,000, but I need to see that $500 in value somewhere else. Take $500 off the price of the car I'm buying and it's a deal. (in my situation they said yes).
9) Be nice and build trust. Let the salesperson get to know you, and try to get to know them, too. The more they like you the more likely they are to go to bat for you for what you want. They will have to bother their sales manager for your concessions, so give them a reason to.

Here's my 2010 Honda CRV. I've had my eyes on this car for 3 months, and I'm SO glad I waited for the right time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap