Emily's Rainbow

This last week was memorable in a lot of ways, but the thing I remember and treasure the most was gazing on the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen. It was an especially meaningful rainbow because of the events that surrounded it.

Image result for rainbow


 This special rainbow appeared in the early evening sky, seemingly magically, on our way to Wednesday night Bible class on one of the saddest days I've had in a long time. Earlier that day I got a call from my husband at about 2pm. I knew something was wrong. I had just seen him on his lunch break, and he wouldn't call unless something was wrong. He told me that our friend at church, Emily, had died unexpectedly. She was only 32 and left behind a husband that loved her dearly and 3 precious small boys. She was also beautiful, super smart, successful, and loving and caring. She was the type of person you want to get to know better, and I had fully intended on getting to know her better. But I never got the chance. I waited too long. The whole situation was heartbreaking. I cried, no, sobbed, for much of the afternoon. I hugged my girls, and I hugged my husband that much tighter.

She wasn't a close friend, but she was a Sister in Christ, and that was why I loved her immensely.  We shared moments. She passed her congratulations when my daughter was baptized. She checked in with me on her 2 year-old that was in my Bible class. She carried him into Bible class even when he was sleepy or grumpy. She knew he needed his Bible time. We went to church with their family for about 7 years in 2 different congregations. She is in my Bible class this quarter. But today, she won't be there.

But I think God sent that beautiful rainbow on that very sad day to remind us where Emily IS.  It could have only been from God, because only He could see the sad, broken hearts of the congregation, driving from all directions to Bible class, where we longed all afternoon to be. He knew that it was in that moment when we needed a reminder. We needed to remember, visually, that God is good and that Emily has gone on to receive her prize of eternal life in Heaven with Jesus. The rainbow is a sign of a promise from God.

Emily's rainbow was beautifully pure and perfect, just like ALL of the promises from God. I'll treasure that memory in my heart forever, and from now on when I see a rainbow I'll remember God's promises first, and that He is good, and then I'll remember my precious friend, and where she IS.

Rest in Peace Emily. We miss you already, but we take heart knowing we will see you again.

Tink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Table- a silly story

Simply Tea Time

Update: Knapp Family Soap